Course Name: Gas Test Atmospheres
This unit (MSAPMOHS217A) from the MSA07 – Manufacturing Training Package is designed to allow an individual to carry out gas testing of an atmosphere prior to entering a specific area or workspace. The competency requires the person to interpret readings and take actions based on the interpretation.
This unit is modelled on the Public Safety unit PUAFIR307A Monitor hazardous atmospheres, but does not have the prerequisites, which are not required in the chemical, hydrocarbons and oil refining context. The unit is more focused on the needs of that sector and has some wording changes.
Learning Outcomes (Key Elements):
- Prepare for gas testing.
- Test gas
- Maintain equipment.
Upon satisfactory completion of this unit, the participant will be able to:
- Determine type of gas/atmosphere to be tested
- Select and calibrate equipment in accordance with procedures
- Determine gas testing regime/sampling pattern required
- Identify hazards from possible atmosphere contaminants
- Implement hazard control measures, including use of appropriate personal protective equipment.
- Use gas testing equipment to test gas as required
- Interpret and report readings
- Monitor gas on an ongoing basis as required
- Take required action(s) if readings are unacceptable. Clean and maintain gas testing equipment in accordance with procedures
- Inspect and fault find monitoring equipment in accordance with procedures
- Return gas testing equipment to required location and in required condition
- Maintain records of tests and results in accordance with procedures.
Nationally Recognised Training:
These courses are part of a nationally recognised Public Safety Training Package. Information about nationally recognised training can be found through training.gov.au this organisation is the official national register of information on Training Packages, Qualifications, Courses, Units of Competency and Registered Training Organisations (RTOs).
These units conform to the requirements of National and State Work Health & Safety Regulations.